A recent addition to our growing platform of games is a board game we developed to counter the infamous ‘gender bias’.
The board game is a unique collaborative story-telling game that is bound to get your creative juices flowing. In the game, each player takes turns to build a common story with the help of a certain set of cards dealt to them at the start of the game. The game consists of fantasy and counter-stereotypical components – each player takes on a character and narrates the story using this “out-of-ordinary” characters.
The game consists of:
- 4 card decks
- Start cards
- Characters that have brief information about them in the form ‘superpowers’ and ‘side effects’.
- Element cards
- Elements that players need to use within their narration.
- Ending cards
- Stories for the players to veer the story towards their own end. The player who uses all the element cards and ends the story their way, Wins!
- Impediment cards
- Start cards
- Impediment board (Interrupts whenever a player makes a mistake in their narration)
- Each time a player makes a mistake, they are supposed to move on the impediment board by rolling a die. Impediments could be of the form of a task or to skip the next turn – depending on the block they land on the board.
- 2 Dice
- 5 Pebbles to track the progress on the impediment board
The game builds on the concept of role play and perspective taking to create a kind of implicit and subtle realization among the players. Each of the endings are self-reflective in nature that really allows the message to pass on subliminally.
This board game is built to counter gender bias; however we plan to extend such a format to counter other kinds of biases that come up in the social and organizational spheres. Currently, the game is being tested among high school students (15-18 years) in Jalandhar. We hope to see some exciting results, stay tuned!
This board game was built in collaboration with Prerna Magon, a 17-year old high school student from Jalandhar.